Interviewing your Candidates:
Interviewing a candidate normally takes 45 minutes to an hour. Put the candidate at ease from the beginning. Once both of you are settled, briefly inform the candidate about the points to be covered so that the candidate would know what to expect.
1. Tell the candidates about your family and children
2. Briefly describe the position.
3. Get to know the candidates
- Why did you choose this career?
- What do you think are the qualities needed to be a good in this position?
- What do you enjoy most about being this position?
- (If childcare) are you trained in CPR? First Aid?
- What was your most recent position? Where?
- What was your typical daily routine with your last family?
- What were some of the best things about your previous job? The worst?
- Have you had negative work situations? If so, what have you learned from them?
- How have you handled difficult situations, like a baby crying uncontrollably or a child talking back?
- Have you ever had a childcare emergency? What happened?
- What was your longest stay with a family? What was your experience with them?
- Are you looking to stay long-term with a family or what is your time frame for your next position?
4. Encourage the candidates to ask questions about you and the family set up, specific details about the jobs, routines, hours etc.
5. Bring the interview to a close once you are both satisfied that the interview is over and that you have covered everything. You will need to let the nanny know exactly what the next steps are.
6. If you want to offer the job, make this clear now as the candidate will be attending other interviews and you may lose the opportunity of employing her.
7. However, if you are unsure and want to see other candidates, inform the candidate that you will be contacting Aubrey Totcare after the interview and that the agency will contact her to let her know the outcome.
8. Once the interview is over, please contact Aubrey Totcare to discuss how you would like to proceed. If you wish to employ the nanny, then it is best to make an offer as soon as possible. On the other hand, if you prefer to see other nannies, we can arrange that for you.